Saturday, December 02, 2006

Crocosmia

The Crocosmia bulbs I planted last year have done well. Even before flowering their heavily pleated and sword like foliage gave a bit of height to the newly planted beds. I have more bulbs to plant this year, and this trouble free easily grown plant will add texture shape and colour to my garden.

Once established Crocosmia multiply quickly and look their best in large groups. If they grow two big for the space you have available they are easily divided.

The plant leaves are quite fibrous and can tangle up in the shredder if you overload it.

A much smaller though similar shaped plant the monbreita is planted nearby and the contrasting heights but similar form should work well as they develop.

Crocosmia make useful cut flowers with their bold shape, they also give off a saffron fragrance when placed in water, all in all those qualities are not bad for a plant that is so easy to grow.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful photos! A friend gave me a huge bunch of Crocosmia bulbs...I can't wait to see what they do for me next year.

    I'm glad I found your blog. I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Could you tell me what variety of Crocosmia you have in the photo please??
    Its hard to make out which one it is from the photo.
    I hold the NCCPG National Collection of Crocosmia in the UK and have around 250+ varieties.
    Thank you for sharing the lovely photo.

    Mark
    www.simplesite.com/crocosmia

    ReplyDelete